Monday, December 01, 2008

Another Perspective

While I've had so much going on the last few months I could have knocked out some really great posts, I honestly haven't had the time. I'll try to start catching up. However, I have something I feel needs to be posted now.

My mom lives in Grand Cayman and has experienced quite a difference in culture during her five years on the island. This is an email she sent me a few weeks ago; she was thinking about sending it to their news station for publication. We're really blessed to live in this country. Something to think about.....

"As I stand in my kitchen tonight preparing a turkey to share with my co-workers, I am struggling with two thoughts:

First, I am on a committee to help prepare a scheme to determine the top 10 employers in Cayman. One of the qualifiers is how an employer handles "diversity." I feel that this is something Cayman has not yet learned to embrace and if I dare to speculate, there may be 80% of the population here that is Cuban Caymanian, American Caymanian, Mexican Caymaian, Brazilian Caymanian, Indian Caymanian, Canadan Caymanian, Britsh Caymanian, Jamacian Caymanian and many more. I am an American but my parents descend from Austria and Hungary. I am no less an American. I embrace diversity and have seen the many facets of the world through my diverse friends, co-workers and acquaintances - it has never made me any less an American or changed the fiber of American heritage.

Second, this struggle I have been forced by order of the Board of Directors to terminate the contract of a recently hired Canadian because I was told I had hired too many "white people." This employee is exquisitely qualified, already on the island as a dependent, white, and clearly a victim of political circumstance. Doesn't matter to me what color he is; he's the best person qualified for the position. His selection was a process, just like that of president elect Barack Obama.

I am thankful at this Thanksgiving because I am from a country that has taught me we are all humans, and to be tolerant, practice acceptance and to embrace diversity. I am thankful I have grown up in a country that can elect a president to lead and not be biased by the color of their skin or nationality of orgin.

My hope for Cayman is it will learn to embrace diveristy, step forward in time and understand that Cayman can keep its heritage but not keep Cayman in the shameful dark ages of prejudice, segregation, and absoutely no understanding of how to go forward with human rights.

Inclusion is far better than exclusion. Embrace Diversity Cayman."

Let this be a lesson for the whole world. Amen!